Wednesday 30 May 2007

Restating something I've already said about 3 times before....

As a learning technologist, there is defiitely more emphasis on the “technology” bit than the “learning” bit. (for example, staff come to me asking for PC support etc.., never advice on learning. We are experts in definable technologies. We have a much more ambiguous relationship with “learning”). In some ways, I am inclined to perpetuate this ideas since staff are often a bit nervous around so when I’m training in PC skills and procedures, I am the expert. In contrast, when it comes to conversations about education and learning, I’m suddenly playing with the big kids.


There are two reasons though why this is a bad idea. firstly, the "expert/novice" distinction is unhealthy in both directions. Secondly, “new technology” will eventually become a old and standard….. If I consider myself to be an expert in existing technologies then my job is over, but for me, “technology” simply stands in for what I’m really about which is “innovation”. If I see myself as a learning innovator, challenging existing learning and teaching practices, involved in organisational change, then I need to start engaging much more seriously in discussions about learning and teaching.


Pretty obvious what this means to my practice!

No comments: