Thursday 8 March 2007

New paradigms of learning

"in times of change learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped for a world that no longer exists." Eric Hoffer...

This and the connected classroom video expand on a niggling worry that started here......When we are looking to establish theories that are relevant to our teaching practice in a world that is changing at such a speed, how can we be sure to find theories that we stay up to date? Do we need to start looking for new theories? Do we throw away the idea of theories altogether? I think teaching students to become independent, life-long learners is key. To be connected. To be creators. A question for another time...how do those seven best practice approaches stand up in the light of this! Are they extended by these ideas? Altered?

So how does this relate to my own training? Well when I'm thinking about those theories that relate to my practice, I think the old ones are important as these are the ones most of my students (generally over 30, often way over 30, digital immigrants not natives), know and feel comfortable with and they shouldn't be thrown out, they still have relevance...but at the same time I need to be aware that new approaches and paradigms are popping up all over the place. My students need to recognise this and be open to these too as these are the ones that will be most relevant to their students. And these are the ones that make the most convincing argument for WebLearn.

No comments: