Sunday 27 May 2007

This is how it feels to be retired....

OK, the first flush of optimism is over. I want to teach in SL, but I can't teach anything that anyone wants or doesn't know already. I can teach the violin, I can teach drawing and painting, I can teach jewellry making, I can teach IT (lol).

I reckon I could teach prim building, avatar dress design but I don't really see the point, and I'm not sure what people would want to build or why.

Teaching in SL is about learning for living in SL - and I'm still thinking of ways to teach that can be transferred in RL. So I probably haven't really "got" it.

I tend to see myself as a digital native but in SL I'm an immigrant - the interesting bit - I'm not sure if I WANT to be a native. I remember this feeling the first time someone introduced me to email....come on Kirsty, why the hell would I want to sit on this PC, in this library, and spend half and hour faffing with logging in and opening up this bit of software that lets me write a note to you, when you're sitting just across the room from me?

I wish I had written about that experience and tracked the moment when I suddenley saw the value in it, the way in which my perception changed. The thing that swung it for me. This time, I'm not going to miss it.

1 comment:

All Blog Spots said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.