Thursday 26 April 2007

Closing the gap between theory and practice, the personal and the professional

It worries me a bit that the things that I get excited about when I'm at home, are not the things I get excited about at work.  To start out that doesn't seem so strange.  I mean we're lucky if our work reflects our interests and passions.  The thing is...mine does, and yet somehow, I'm spending a lot of time exploring learning theories and instructional technologies at home, but this research doesn't seem to have a way to feed back into my work practices.  If I want to be really effective I think it should.  In other words I've started to find the link between theory and practice at work and theory and practice at home, but I can't see to find the link between my life and work theories, my life and work practices.



I don't think it is as simple as saying my personal values are not reflected by my workplace because I think broadly speaking they are.  It may have something to do with the fact that my personal interest is geared more towards informal learning.  incidental learning. I love informal learning and accidental learning.  I've got huge pleasure out of observing my colleagues' lectures when I'm eavesdropping, when I'm really there to observe them.  I don't enjoy formal lectures where I'm MEANT to be learning something.  I'd definitely rather watch a lecture on video, while I'm doing the ironing and then use my brain to take part in conversations afterwards.



I attended a great presentation last week by Jay Cross, everyone agreed it was one of the best presentations they'd been to in a long time.  He spent 75% of it just chatting with the audience.



The greatest presentation I ever attended was in Edinburgh, 10 years ago -  given by Dr Clifford Kuhn.  http://www.drcliffordkuhn.com/meet.htm.  It was 4 hours long (it overran by 2 hours), I spent 3 1/2 hours laughing so hard I was crying.





Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: