Tuesday 6 February 2007

impractically unreasonable?

I come from a long line of instructors, ad have a deep appreciation for teachers and learning. My parents taught me to love learning, be a lifeong, independent learner and gave me a passion for engaging and inspiring instruction. (my Dad, in particular, always had a very close relationship with his students – we were always going round their houses, going to their weddings, playing with them in the school greenhouses on Saturday). At the same time, they made it very clear that teachers have little control over their destiny despite seeming to have a clear sense of where they were going. I vowed to take a job where I could have some control over my own destiny, and possibly even that of students.

As a disabled person, I have a unique and intimate relationship with technology spanning 28 years that is at once highly positive but also extremely realistic. I recognise it as both an enabler and a disabler. I am an artist and maker of things, I love media and communication with a passion for animation and new media. Finally, I am drawn to challenge, variety, innovation, the novel and have an appreciation of the sciences, and the arts, and the powerful results when they come together. To put it simply, I saw the role of a learning technologist as creative, imaginative and innovative, varied, communication, teaching….passionate. I would train lecturers to love learning technologies and allow students to have the exerience learning in the way I had experienced it, but also in ways I had only dreamed of experiencing it.

....this kind of dreaming has given me a lot of energy, but it also blinded me to reality. I have not been thinking about the lecturers and what they need, what challenges they need to solve. My dreams have not been practically unreasonable. This is where I need to start if I want to help create inspiring learning experiences for everyone. Learning technologies seem to forget about the existence of lecturers. This may be learner-centric but instructors are still vital.

No comments: